Ex Pat Mamma

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

All brains, nae sense

Chocolate Crispy Cakes.
3 ingredients: chocolate, cornflakes and raisins.

On Sunday I took a serious fancy to a big batch of crunchy cornflake crispie cakes. Yum yum yum. Yesterday, I went to the supermarket and picked up cooking chocolate, cornflakes and cake cups (we had the raisins) and proceeded with much excitement. So much excitement, in fact, that I got so hot, I had to take off half my clothes. I'd got a recipe, if such it could be called, since recipes usually involve some actual cooking to be done. But I did have to melt the chocolate in a bain marie - in a pot over another pot with hot water in. Not, you might say, rocket science.

Chocolate melting went fine. I added some golden syrup as recommended for added thickness and flavour. Went a bit thick, but still definitely liquid enough. Then I added the cornflakes and it all immediately solidified into a big lump.

Hmmm... what now? Clever old me, added some milk to thin the chocolate. Not very much, but enough to make it liquid again.

Now, friendly scientists: what happens when you add milk to cornflakes? Would you like to ask the audience? Would you like to phone a friend? Or are you confident of your answer?

YES, that's it, spot on, you have won two quid because when you add milk to cornflakes THEY GO SOFT.

Duh!

Not only that but the chocolate was now diluted just enough so that even though my "cakes" spent the night in a cold fridge, the chocolate hasn't really set.

So I have 20 portions of soggy cornflakes in chocolately goo.

The raisins came out ok though. At least I am still getting my fruit and veg. supply.

Meanwhile, the 3 day left over lasagne is still the more tempting offering.... time for lunch.

18+2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home