Ex Pat Mamma

Friday, February 11, 2005

Must be blooming then

Or maybe just blushing...

I was in a taxi yesterday in Reykjavik and got chatting as one does because cab drivers in Iceland always want to know why a foreigner can speak Icelandic. It came out I was pregnant (due to a misunderstanding, because he asked if I had an Icelandic "boy" and I said I was going to have one in the summer... but he meant boyfriend, duh!) Anyway, he seemed genuinely happy to hear this and I was happy and the sun was shining and the whole world was happy till he said something I didn't understand... so he translated in broken English that he wasn't safe around pregnant women 'cause he really liked big women with big bellies and.... I swiftly made my exit. Thankfully this all came to light as we pulled up beside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for my meeting.

The weird thing is that in Iceland noone EVER hits on you, at least not sober. At the risk of sounding seriously immodest, in Canada or Scotland men do try it on; but in Iceland, everyone is too 'cool' and no-one ever tries to flirt, well not before 3am and a crate of beer. So it was quite a shock to the system.... I've been in Iceland for a year an a half and this is the first time a sober man has hit on me. And all for my big belly. Which isn't even that big yet - honest. Remind me to use a different taxi firm if I am in Reykjavik this summer!

17+5 and not THAT big, honestly!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Joy Cassidy said…

    I didnt even realise that beached whales used taxis!! ;)

    Just think of it as an ego boost!!!

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger ex_pat said…

    Not "beached" actually :) Having a nice daily swim... even if the water level rises suspiciously when I jump in.

    Just call me Moby :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home