Ex Pat Mamma

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Inconsiderate? Or am I overreacting?

Well, to start, the good news: the cot is finally here!! The piss sheet isn't exactly what I ordered, or rather what I ordered hubby to order, but it will do the job. The mattress looks lovely and is nice and firm, so I am now a happy mum to be. At least regarding baby's sleeping arrangements. We'll assemble it, erm... sometime. My mum and dad are coming to visit in early May but my dad is, I suspect, almost as bad at home furniture assembly as my hubby, so it might be a good idea to do it before he comes, so he doesn't offer to "help."...

Meanwhile, here is the "thing." Perhaps I am overreacting. I went to an afternoon tea party on Saturday, as one does when one is a raging socialite like myself. There was a little girl, who I thought was just shy. Not till much later do I mention her to my friend who has a daughter a similar age and my friend says: "oh, but she has chicken pox." What? Who brings a child to a party with chicken pox, when they know a pregnant woman is going to be there? I mean, really, who?

Or am I overreacting?

Now, I believe I had chicken pox as a baby and it is rather unlikely that I will contract it again. But it is possible: you can get it again I don't know whether to go get a blood test to check my immunity or just to wait and hope no spots develop. At this stage, it probably won't hurt pupo, if I DO get it (though it is more risky for me - yes, since the party I have done my usual "google" research). But it's not the point!!! I am so cross about this: 1) parents of said child do not KNOW I had chicken pox as a baby and don't even mention anything about it to me: I found out randomly from someone else. 2) parents of said child almost certainly have no idea about the risks of chicken pox to pregnant women. Now, why would they? But they knew I would be there, so could have bothered to find out. Or at least have informed me! In the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, chicken pox is dangerous for babies and can result in disabilities.

So, there you go, am cross. Hoping I am immune but more than anything cross that I am even being bothered with this. I know I can't live in a glass bubble for 9 months, but at the same time, I would have expected more consideration.

Am I overreacting?

28+2

1 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger ex_pat said…

    Child definitely still contagious. My mummy reassures me that I definitely had a bad case of chicken pox as a baby so I should be fine... gotta wait and see, because there is a 10-14 day "incubation."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home